Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Eye of the Tiger

I just finished reading "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. This book tells a fantastical story about a boy who, after a shipwreck, becomes stranded on a lifeboat with a tiger.

I've recently started reading the Author's Introduction or Prologue before beginning this year's books and have found that they often provide important insight into the author's point of view. For example, in this book, the author discussed how he came upon this story during a trip to India where he was investigating another book idea. The book is introduced as a true story, thus providing the reader with a suspension of disbelief that makes the tale that much richer.

I really enjoyed this read and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good story. During my free time, I found myself picking up this book instead of the remote. And when you consider that there were new seasons of Project Runway and American Idol on the DVR, that is no small feat.