Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Change Would Do You Good

Something new is going on with me. Something amazing. Something I've been dreaming and hoping and wishing for.

Part of the reason I've not visited this space for a while is because I was afraid I'd say it out loud and then the opportunity would slip away. It may seem silly, and I'm not necessarily superstitious, but I had to be sure this was happening before I spread it around.

I got a new job...sort of. I'm currently orienting in the



I've been wanting to make a change from Med/Surg, but wasn't sure how. For the past year I've worked PRN which basically means I make my own schedule and only work on an 'as needed' basis. I've been looking for a new, similar, position for a while now, but it's been difficult to find an opening in my hospital because I'd need to be trained in a new area. And most directors aren't thrilled about training new PRN nurses. However, about a month ago, I found an opening in ER and interviewed for the position. I got it, but only sort of.

The director wanted me to orient, but still stay on in the Med/Surg department. I accepted the terms, grabbed hold of the new position and just refused to let them ignore me. I set up a meeting with the ER educator and VIOLA! found myself with three weeks of ER orientation!

I haven't wanted to say anything because I was afraid I'd not actually be able to orient. I was nervous about being trained and then pushed back to my old floor. After a week and a half though, I feel like I've started to prove myself and am feeling a bit more secure in the setting. I think I could find my 'nursing home,' at least for now.

The pace is new, the work is interesting and I love the fact that I no longer dread going to the hospital each evening. I realize that I'm still in the honeymoon phase and that this feeling might not last, but I really hope it does. I love being a nurse but I've always felt that I hadn't yet found my home. I'm hoping that this new placement will give me a much needed feeling of peace and love in my work.