Friday, July 8, 2011

Facing Your Fears - Really High Up

One of my favorite parts of this year's beach vacation was my parasailing trip. That's right, Ms. Terrified-of-Heights, Cried-on-King's-Dominion-Drop-Zone, Hates-Open-Water WENT PARASAILING! And it was awesome. I didn't even cry.

Tobie and I on our way up. See, no tears!


So very high.

They had the brilliant idea of dragging us through the water.

I'm rethinking my decision to NOT wear a bathing suit.

The white tank top wasn't such a great idea either.

We made it! Soaking wet, but still no hysterical crying.

The best part though, had to be the zodiac boat ride out to the parasailing boat. There were a lot of speed zone channels (where I actually got to drive - complete with a Bud Light in my hand) but once the Captain was able to open her up, we flew across that water. It was just like in the movies; wind running through my hair, water splashing while flying over the wake of other boats. Again I say, awesome.

We had a group of eleven riders, which took about two hours to parasail. Once the rides were over we met the other boats and headed straight to shore into a crazy heavy lightning and thundering monstrosity of a storm. Yes, really.  In fact, we only made it halfway to the dock before the weather forced us to stop under a bridge. The Captain couldn't see anything, it was freezing and I was no longer having any fun. 

The other boat pulling under the bridge.*

Everyone else seemed to be having a good time!*

Caia keeping me warm during the storm.*
Our group decided to get off the boats and have someone else from the family come find us. I was seriously freaked out and just wanted off of the water. Of course, once we were on land, the storm let up, and the boats took off for shore while we were stuck under the bridge hoping to be found. (For the record, I'm totally willing to admit that my judgment is impaired while sitting on a boat, in freezing wind and rain, listening to thunder and watching the lightning hit the shore.)

Of course we all made it back safely and now I have a great story about my parasailing adventure in Siesta Key! All's well that ends well, am I right? I would however, be lying if I said that I wasn't going to think twice (and check a weather radar) before getting on another boat again.

*I totally lifted those pics off of Tobie's Facebook page...Thanks Tobie!