Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Eat Your Heart Out

Vegas recap week continues!!!!

Are you bored yet? Hopefully not but if so, I apologize...sort of.

Hands down, for me, the best part of the Vegas trip was the food. Initially, when we settled on going to Vegas I was a little less-than-enthused. Having been to Vegas before, I couldn't fathom that Sin City could offer me anything unique or interesting. Then I remembered Season 6 of Top Chef was filmed in Vegas. I'm a total Top Chef junkie and remembering all the restaurants and interesting chefs that had made their home on the strip suddenly got me very excited. I did some research and discovered that our trip also coincided with Las Vegas Restaurant Week, another bonus.

My dear friend was more than happy to let me make all the food decisions/arrangements so I set about planning our three days of meals. In the end we hit four Top Chef spots and had some of the best meals ever!

Hands down, for me, the best overall experience was at Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger's Border Grille. The service was impeccable, attentive without being intrusive and the food was perfection on a plate. Literally. If you can only eat one meal in Vegas, do it here.

The meat was so tender I don't even think you'd need teeth to eat it!

Second best, by a fairly close margin was Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill where we stopped for brunch on Saturday. I am anxious to get back and try their dinner menu!

I look ridiculous because I'm enjoying the hell out of the green chile hollandaise sauce!


And, of course, no true Top Chef Vegas trip would be complete without a stop at Tom Colicchio's CraftSteak. While the food was amazing, I have to admit I was a bit put out by the service. When we were seated, we were introduced to our TWO servers. I don't know if one was in training or what, but they didn't seem to work together cohesively, making the meal seem disjointed. I suppose that after our lunch with the waitstaff at Border Grille, I expected much more for what we were paying for this dining experience.


The day of our departure we had breakfast at Serendipity3. Other than the ice cream parlor in the John Cusack/Kate Beckinsale movie, Serendipity, I hadn't heard much about this place. It was Kathy's pick and she did good. We finished off a great foodie trip with their signature Frozen Hot Chocolate before heading to the airport.

Isn't that a beautiful looking plate?!

Looking back at the trip, the food was definitely the highlight for me. However, there were so many restaurants we missed, I can't wait to return with Elijah and eat our way across the strip!


Linking this up with:

iPhone Photo Phun