Monday, September 19, 2011

A Near Miss Mom Fail of Epic Proportions

I am not, nor have I ever been, a girly girl.

I'm also pretty hopeless when it comes to fashion, refusing to sacrifice function or comfort for style. My personal taste swings well into the realm of overworked soccer mom. I don't think I look frumpy or ugly, it's more of a lack of finesse. I have no creativity for accessorizing and can't seem to buy anything - shoe, pant, skirt or top - without first asking "what would I wear this with?" I buy multiple copies of identical shirts in different colors and prefer one piece knit dresses to everything else.

As for makeup, let me just say that I lost my makeup bag sometime around August and didn't notice until I started packing for Vegas. That is how infrequently I put anything on my face besides lotion.

All that being said, I am a sucker for pedicures. I LOVE THEM! They are the one indulgence I never regret which is why I treated myself to one before leaving for Vegas. Miraculously, the pedicure was still intact after the trip which prompted Amelia to cry out for "Pink toes! Pink toes!" This was the first time I recall her noticing painted nails and I was happy to share with her the joy of the pedicure. The only problem was:

I don't have any nail polish.

I'm so serious. I can't remember the last time I painted my nails. My fingernails (which you'll see in the following pictures) have such small cuticle beds that I don't bother doing anything with them at all. And my toenails are so teeny that I'd never be able to paint them nicely, not to mention the fact that doing it myself would defeat the entire purpose of the indulgent pedicures.

Seriously, there is no nail polish in my house.

I promised I pick some up while she was at school the next day and then promptly forgot. In a panic I asked Elijah to get some on his way home from work hoping that, although he is a man who knows nothing about nail polish, he'd still come through for his little girl. And guys, he totally did.


I had never seen this girl sit so still!