Monday, October 17, 2011

Touching Base

I've dubbed the next four weeks my "Month of Pain." With Asher's, birthday and my inevitable overspending at Christmas looming ahead, I've decided to buckle down and take any (and mostly all) shifts offered to me - within reason, I'm not a machine.

I think I have about four shifts scheduled per week, which may not seem like much but they take a lot out of me. Most days I don't even sit down to pee until eight hours into a shift. Don't mistake this as a complaint, being busy really helps the shift go by and I'm loving the work. I am constantly learning and it's nice to feel myself growing again as a nurse. I look forward to going to work instead of dreading it, like before. I am happier both at home and at work and I feel like being in this new department is a big part of that.

Working more has given Elijah and I an opportunity to fine tune our homemaking skills as well. He is pulling more than his fair share of the weight in that department, coming home in the evenings and finishing laundry, straightening the house and completing any other tasks I've left on his "honey do" list. I am so grateful for his willingness to take on more to ensure that things still go smoothly for me and the kids. Working together, often on opposite schedules, can be difficult, and I miss our evening routine and conversations, but this is a short term absence and I think we're handling it beautifully.

So don't worry if I don't check in as often.

Things are good.

I am happy.