Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall to Pieces

I'm about to post something embarrassing. While some of you might be thinking, this won't be the first time, just try to pretend that it is. It is definitely the first time I've posted something THIS embarrassing (to me). As well as the first time I've broached this particular subject.

(Read: validation is necessary)

I'm a nurse in the Emergency Room at my local hospital. It's a nice, quiet, fairly new community hospital and I've been there (on one floor or another) for over a year. I am new to the ER, but am learning the pace and really enjoying the work. While we don't get crazy traumas, we do occasionally get the craziness expected at an ER, however for the most part, our patients are normal people with normal, treatable issues.

I enjoy caring for most of the patients. I usually only have them on the unit for a few hours before they are either discharged home, transferred to another facility, or admitted to another floor. This short amount of time gives me the opportunity to get them situated, learn a little about their background, treat them, and then move on. There is rarely enough time to become annoyed or angry with someone unless the person is just in that sort of a mood. I get those patients as well, but they don't really bother me that much. I am usually able to do my work in a professional manner, and move on. Nope, the mean ones aren't the patients that make my life difficult.

It's the attractive ones.

Yep, I said it....and I am so embarrassed.

It's true. Sometimes I have been attracted to my patients. Rarely, oh so rarely, I will have a patient that makes it difficult to concentrate, focus, speak, or keep myself from acting a fool. I'm dead serious. I'm only human and am therefore unable make my heart beat slower or my hands stop sweating just because I'm a professional caregiver.

Working with the patient population that I'm usually exposed to, it's not THAT common. In fact, in the two years I've been nursing, I can really only remember it happening twice. I am only writing about this because it happened just recently and I'm still feeling a little thrown or uneasy. I'm thinking that if I just put this 'out there' then maybe all the weirdness will go away. Also, I think it's uber important for people to understand that this possibility exists, even for the most amazingly, wonderfully, professionally, minded nurses such as myself. And if you are an attractive sick person you should prepare yourself accordingly.

Your hospital care provider may have a crush on you.
 
So don't flirt with the people taking care of you. You can be nice, make jokes, give compliments...but don't flirt with the staff. Believe me, we can tell the difference. It is hard enough to start an IV without my hands shaking because my impeccably groomed, soft spoken, great smelling, sweet smiling, patient won't stop flirting with me...even if it does seem subtle.

There. That is all. Now, let's never speak of this again.