Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hey Good Looking

Every day that I'm home, I learn something new about myself.

Well... I guess that's not actually true, but it is true that this "moving, nesting, not working experience" has opened up some undiscovered insights to my personality. For example:

I love to cook.

No really, I do. And to be perfectly honest with you, that's not something I ever thought I would say. Maybe it was because there were so many other things on my "want to do" list that I didn't realize how much I enjoyed cooking. But over the last few months, I have really grown in this area. Last night I made spaghetti & meatballs from scratch. Yep, the whole thing. I even used wine in the sauce. Of course, I didn't measure it, I just poured some out of the glass I was drinking, but that's beside the point. The point is that I made everything minus the noodles (I'm not sure how I feel about attempting homemade pasta). I don't think I'm there yet.

The exciting thing is last night wasn't the first time. I made a peach pie two weeks ago, from scratch. I've made mac-n-cheese without using a box. Lately I have been cooking up a storm and loving it. I mean actually loving the cooking part and not just the eating part.

I'm thinking that part of my enjoyment comes from the solitary aspect of cooking. Solitary moments are sparse these days. And sure, sometimes Asher and I make something together. However most evenings, it's me alone in the kitchen, listening to laughter as Asher and Amelia play in the living room. I chop and saute and boil and bake and just spend some time alone in my head. After that we all get to eat something yummy, which I consider a win, win.