Sunday, January 29, 2012

Soundtrack Of My Life

Today's topic is ten songs that would make up my life's soundtrack.

1. Absolutely (Story of a Girl) - Nine Days

Because if we're going to start my life off with a theme, it might as well be one of tears. Yes, I was a girl tortured by being perpetually in the friend zone. As far as my formative teen years go, I remember heartbreak and angst and longing, and not really much else. Cue the violins.

"This is the story of a girl, who cried a river and drowned the whole world."



2. 32 Flavors - Alana Davis

I've always been struck by the dimension of people. Especially now that I'm older. I realize that people are rarely as they appear.  As I posted earlier I am often defined by my roles as mother, wife, nurse, daughter, sister, but there is so much more to me than the various hats I wear.

"I am a poster girl with no poster. I am 32 flavors and then some."




3. Talk Tonight - Oasis

This song reminds me of the sweetness of finding yourself in the middle of a long, comfortable conversation. Whether on the phone, or in person, watching the sun rise with someone you've shared a bit of yourself with, counts as some of my favorite memories.

"I wanna talk tonight, until the morning light, about how you saved my life."



4. Torn - Natalie Imbuglia

I remember when this first song came out I identified with it completely. The feeling of being so broken it wouldn't matter who came to rescue you. Even as a grown woman I've still felt this way many times in my life, not hopeless, just torn.

"You're a little late, I'm already torn."



5. Broken Road - Melodie Crittenden

Being an awkward, perpetually lovesick, young woman, I was more than relieved to be married at twenty-two.  I finally felt like I could direct all that energy I'd been wasting worrying about being loved into something far more productive. This song describes how all of those heartaches and mistakes brought me to my present.

(I threw in the Pacey & Joey YouTube edition because who doesn't love Dawson's Creek?)



6. Little Wonders - Rob Thomas

Regardless of the fact that this is found on the soundtrack to a movie that I've never seen, it's a brilliant choice for my own personal soundtrack. The song reminds me that the past is gone and it's living in the present that will reveal the true joys life.

"Let it go, let it roll right off your shoulder. Don't you know, the hardest part is over?" 



7. Suddenly, I See - KT Tunstall

The woman depicted in this song is strong, captivating, and alive.  She's all the things I'd like to be admired for. I guess you could call her my musical role model.

"Suddenly, I see, why the hell it means so much to me."




8. How to Save a Life - The Fray

It's no surprise that I love Grey's Anatomy. I even written about how I don't have any hang ups when it comes to medical dramas and working in the medical field. This song inspired one of my favorite posts and totally makes me thrilled about my career.





9. Sleep - Melissa Etheridge

This is the song. The one that perfectly describes how I feel about my husband and our life together. The only video I could find of it is awful...please don't judge the song based on what you see. In fact, just listen with your eyes closed. Yeah, do that.



10. Closer to Fine - Indigo Girls

The perfect song to end with. A song describing the search for something more, something bigger than what we are.

"Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable, and lightness has a call that's hard to hear."