Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm Not From Here

We were all pretty excited about moving to the Austin area, which is why I decided that we would make an effort to do something "Austin-y" at least once a month. We skipped doing something in March, except for all those trips to Target, but in April we went to Art City Austin. It reminded us of the Oklahoma City Arts Festival and was even held the same weekend.

Sometimes I have a plan, and no matter how determined I am to follow through, the novelty eventually wears off. I get lazy and decide instead to lay around the house all weekend in my pajamas. I am pleased to say that that has not yet happened! In fact, May has been a busy month for Austin visits. We had a botched trip to Max's Wine Dive for Mother's Day (which I will definitely post about once we use the $50 gift card they sent us!). And the following weekend we tried our first Austin eatery, with great success, and attended the Renegade Craft Fair.

This weekend I wanted to try another restaurant from my book and Asher decided that we should have Mexican again. We choose Torchy's Tacos at the South Austin Trailer location (1311 South 1st Street). We ended up at Izzoz Tacos (1207 South 1st Street). The two trailers share a fence! We stopped at the first taco trailer we saw and ended up being 20 feet from where we were headed. I didn't want to pile the kids back into the car just because I had my heart set on wanted to try a particular taco trailer, so we went ahead and ordered dinner . It ended up being a very good choice.


We wanted to try almost everything on the menu.

Asher said it was the best taco he'd ever had, but he didn't care much for the flies that accompany outdoor trailer dining

Amelia got her fill of guacamole.


And the boys got to show off their hula-hoop skills.


And because my darling husband knows me so well (and loves me anyway), he pulled out of Izzoz and into Torchy's so I could take home the tacos I'd been dying to try.