Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas All Over Again

Well, we are currently in the throws of my least favorite of the Ogden holiday traditions.

The holiday sickness.

I use the term holiday because the sickness can (and will) strike one of us either Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's. I thought we'd dodged it this year. We pulled through Thanksgiving without any incident and then Asher got strep right before his Winter Break. I couldn't have planned the yearly "celebration" of this particular tradition any better.

Apparently though, it doesn't count unless it's close to a holiday...and inconvenient.

There's the year where my best friend came with her family for Thanksgiving and Elijah spent two days in the guest bedroom unable to get out of bed. The year we had to head to Pryor for Thanksgiving and leave Elijah behind because he was unable to make the three hour trip away from a bathroom. We spent one Thanksgiving Eve in an ER getting Asher a 2 am breathing treatment while our family slept at our place in anticipation of the super awesome meal we would all be cooking in like FOUR HOURS! We also had to turn a fully packed, vomit filled, car around on Christmas Eve in the hopes that Asher would be able to make the drive to his grandparents house the next day.

Those are all the examples I can pull off the top of my head, let's just say that I've been scarred by, and am absolutely terrified of, this unexpected, yet oft celebrated holiday tradition.

Which is why when Asher woke up this morning and told me he had thrown up I refused to believe him. After all, it's not like he could actually show me because he had already flushed it, so I knew he must have been mistaken. (In my defense, this warm Texas weather is throwing our allergies completely out of control out here so I figured he'd just coughed up a bunch of mucus-y gunk.)

I couldn't have been more wrong. He's been hugging the toilet all morning and just looks so sick and miserable. All he wants is to waller in my bed with me while I'm doing my best to keep the kiddos separate so as to "contain the joy." I'm running from room to room trying to keep both kids entertained with two different idiot boxes...parental guilt be damned! In addition, I feel awful as well, because of my allergies and am anticipating a whopper of a sinus infection any day now. All of this is happening just in time for my in-laws to get here on Thursday with their three schnauzers.

But never mind all that, I just wanted to take a moment and say, from my germ ridden household to yours....

Happy Holidays!!!