Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Headless Horseman

Let me just preface this post with the caveat that I realize it is WAY overdue. I refuse to apologize for writing it so late, since this is the first chance I've gotten to sit down and write and I really wanted to do it justice.

Every October (at least for the past three years) we have taken the kids to Marval Resort in Gore, Oklahoma. This is a particularly special campground to our family because Elijah used to go there with his family when he was little. It's definitely become a yearly tradition that we all look forward to. We go in October for two main reasons. First, it is much too hot to go out there in the summer and second, they celebrate Halloween all month long which is a super plus for us heathens.

We go "cabin camping" which I realize is a bit of disappointment for the boys, but really the weather is much too fickle in October to sleep in a tent. Plus, I think tent camping is yicky. I need my own bathroom, shower and microwave. I make no apologies for that either, since aside from our very first sleepover being in a tent, Elijah knew about my lack of outdoorsy-ness when he agreed to be shackled to me until the end of time.

Throughout the month in addition to trick-or-treating every Saturday, Marval has a "magical" pumpkin patch that we travel to via hayride and most importantly - at least to Asher - a costume contest. Every year when the time comes to pick out a costume he goes over all his options and wonders which one gives him the best chance of winning. The first year he dressed as a dinosaur, the second as a dead zombie. Both costumes were fine but not really award worthy.

This year, I picked his costume for him and even though I'm biased, it really was the greatest costume ever.


He totally won.

Now I only have 11 months to think up next year's winning costume idea!

For those interested, here are more pictures of our cabin camping weekend.