Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Battle of Who Could Care Less

Finally finished The Shipping News!!!

Let me start by saying that this book was recommended to me by a friend whose opinion I really value. She has always pointed me in the direction of truly wonderful reads, some of which I would probably never even consider picking up if she didn't encourage it. That is the only reason I stayed with this book to the bitter end, but let me be clear about something...I hated it.

For the life of me I could not figure out why I dreaded reading this book. It was well written, it had these neat little notes about knots that set up every chapter, hell it won a Pulitzer, so what is the matter with me? Why did I hate it so very much?

It finally occurred to me after I had finished reading and was considering what to write in my wrap-up, book report type, post. The reason I hated this book so much was because I felt no connection to the characters. I didn't care if this sad, oafish man succeeded or failed and I certainly cared nothing for any of the secondary characters; the odd, old aunt, the two unfortunate children, the "tall and quiet woman" and so on. I would have been just as satisfied with this book if everyone had died in the second chapter and the last 200 pages were blank.

Most books are enjoyable because of a love for the subject matter, an interest in the storyline or a feeling of connection to the characters. And if you're lucky, you get all three wrapped into one amazing read. There is nothing wrong with this book, I just didn't connect with the characters, therefore I didn't care about them or their circumstance, which, in turn, makes for a truly painful reading experience. And I'm left with this feeling that somehow I missed out, like I'm the uncool one who just doesn't get it.