Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Queen of Hearts

Here is yet another book turned movie. I swear that is not how I planned my reading list this year. However, after unpacking in our new place, I noticed that I had more books on my "to be read" bookshelf than shelves. I had to start reading the books I'd collected if I was ever going to be able to start buying books again. I don't have any particular system for choosing the next book. I usually think about what I read last and try to find something slightly different so I won't get bored with the subject matter or author. It's pretty much a gut instinct sort of process and apparently my gut has been wanting to read books that were recently made into movies. That or I'm extremely susceptible to movie advertising.

While I've already read quite a bit about the wives of Henry VIII, this book seemed to have a point of view that I hadn't thought of before. It explored how power hungry families used their young women to elevate themselves in the eyes of the King. I had never thought of that before. I guess I had read only from the context of my own life (such a narrow view, I know). But it never occurred to me that these women may not have wanted to be the next queen. This book portrays two sisters, one with an eye on the crown and one who was forced by her family into pursuing it against her will. I really enjoyed seeing a different side of a very familiar story.