Monday, July 12, 2010

Sombody's Watching Me

As I mentioned in my previous post, the kids and I spent last week in Oklahoma. Taking this trip was a big step for me. It has always seemed overwhelming for me to take Asher on trips alone. I remember, when he was much younger, how nervous I felt about taking him to the mall or park without Elijah. Add Amelia to the equation and it's an understatement to say that my panic level was unbearably high. It was a blessing that both children slept until almost 0900 giving me a chance to have a private, non rushed shower, and a full cup of coffee in peace.

Once they were up, I settled them in for breakfast and began to pack the last items into the car. While arranging Amelia's diaper bag in the back seat I noticed some movement. I froze and start quietly backing away. The car is loaded with stuff and I could only imagine what could be hiding between the snack basket and DVD player. (I'm starting to rethink the wisdom of watching that Animal Planet special on Burmese Pythons in Florida.) As I'm moving away, I catch a glimpse of a small grey lizard darting over the backseat.

At that point, I do what any normal girl would do: I call for a boy. Unfortunately, at six, Asher doesn't quite understand that boys are supposed to catch all the creepy crawling things while girls are only expected squeal and scream and generally make the process more difficult. He has no interest in crawling around the car trying to catch a lizard. He makes a few halfhearted attempts to find it and then suggests that we call Elijah.

I make the call, trying not to freak Elijah out. I mean, I'd hate for him to worry about his unbalanced, panic stricken wife taking his two darling children on a 450 mile road trip. I calmly ask what I assumed to be all the right questions.

"Will it bite me?"
"Can I scare it out of the car with a loud noise?"
"Where do YOU think it might be hiding?"
"Asher thinks you should come home, can you?"


Our attempts at flushing out the lizard were unsuccessful. I finally gave up and got everyone situated in the car. I drove those 450 miles in abject terror that at any moment our little stowaway was going to crawl up my skirt. Obviously, we made the trips there and back safely but we still haven't found that little bastard.