Friday, June 25, 2010

White Wedding

I know I'm behind on my "what I'm reading" reviews and it's probably because I haven't had many good things to say about the books I've been reading. I was however, thrilled with what I've most recently finished and am optimistic about what I'm reading now which has motivated me to complete the reviews in between.

Now, what to say about A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve? I think it's telling that the most interesting part of this novel was the book that one of the characters was writing about the Halifax Explosion. The awkward conversations between old prep school classmates, reunited by a wedding 20-odd years later, did not hold my interest. Nor did the seemingly contrived inclusion of references to the attacks on the World Trade Center. The story seemed forced and the characters incomplete.

I would recommend a big PASS on this one...meh.