Friday, December 31, 2010

Two Out of Three Ain't Bad

As another year comes to a close, I'm feeling pretty gosh dern proud of myself. In spite of all the chaos and commotion, I still managed to accomplish two of my three New Year's Resolutions for 2010. I don't usually make resolutions, and if I'm being perfectly honest, I'd consider these more like goals than anything else. I'm task oriented so a "resolution" has to be reasonable, measurable and attainable.

Resolution the first: Weight.


Now before you massacre me for not loving my body as it is, and before you start in with the "oh you look so good" comments (cause seriously, this time, I'm not fishing) - remember, I'd just had a baby. And since Amelia did not end up weighing 62 pounds at birth, I really did have some serious weight to lose. And while I can't contribute the weight loss to anything besides months of uninterrupted stress, I never specified any particular plan that must be followed in order to lose the weight. The end result was all I was concerned with at the time.



Resolution the second: Reading

I spent most of 2009 reading nursing related information: textbooks, NCLEX study materials, job orientation and training packets. I was ready to read something for myself. I made the resolution to read at least 12 books this year, one for each month. I not only met, but I surpassed this goal by two books! More than any other, this resolution was my saving grace. It gave me permission to escape into a book without feeling guilty because I was working towards a goal after all. Gosh I'm such a nut job sometimes! Here's the list along with links to my reviews of what I read last year.
  1. Life of Pi
  2. Midwives
  3. The Shipping News
  4. Memoirs of a Geisha
  5. The Reader
  6. A Wedding in December
  7. Open House
  8. The Other Boelyn Girl
  9. The Phoenix Park Murders
  10. The Memory of Running
  11. The Kite Runner
  12. Eat Pray Love
  13. The Girl With the Pearl Earring
  14. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Resolution the third: Running

This is the one where I fell flat on my face. My initial goal was to run a half marathon anywhere outside of Oklahoma. Unfortunately, things just got away from me and I didn't run a single race this year. In fact, I haven't been out running in over two months! I will revisit this resolution in the coming year and plan on starting 2011 off with a nice long run.

So there you have it. I'm feeling good about my resolutions and am excited to make new ones. Even though I didn't complete everything I'd set out to, I choose to focus on what was accomplished rather than where I fell short. Yet another great lesson from 2010, and Meatloaf!