Tuesday, August 24, 2010

BATS Spelled Backwards Is STAB

Congress Street Bridge


I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Vacation is no place for children.

This past weekend some dear friends from Oklahoma drove down to visit us. They stayed at this amazing resort south of Austin and invited us to crash the party. We spent two full days lounging by the pool, drinking, eating and laughing. We had planned to stay at the hotel as well, but after our Dallas trip, we thought better of it. Amelia is NOT a good sleeper when she isn't at home. That, combined with having to share a bed with the wiggliest child ever, means that no one, besides Asher, would have gotten any sleep.

We were able to get a sitter Friday evening so we had an adults only, real food meal where no one ordered mac and cheese or complained about not being able to wear pajamas. Elijah and I wore actual "going out" clothing and I even put on make-up. I know, big night eh? We ate at Hula Hut and it was just as good as I'd heard. After dinner, Elijah and I had extra time to waste spend, so we caught a late showing of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World at the Alamo Drafthouse. I honestly cannot remember the last time Elijah and I were out together without the kids. And the fact that were able to spend the evening with friends made it even more of a treat.

I had made reservations to see the Congress Bridge Bats on Saturday evening. I figured that we'd spend the day relaxing by the pool and then take the kids into the city in the evening. What I hadn't factored in was the draining power of the sun (on both adults and children). Nor had it ever occurred to me that THERE IS NO WAY FOR ANYONE TO ESCAPE AN EXHAUSTED, SCREAMING CHILD WHEN YOU'RE ON A BOAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WATER. We made it out and back just fine and the bats really were amazing. The kids did well considering the circumstances. I however, had a hard time enjoying it because I was so worried about keeping the baby happy and making sure we didn't slip slowly into meltdown mode. Anxiety ruled the day so I will have to redo the experience sans children, or maybe once Amelia hits six.

As you can see from the pictures it was a pretty exhausting day.


Waiting for Asher's horse back ride...in the sun.





The boat is still in dock...look at that face.


Middle of the ride, waiting on her fourth wind.


There were some bright spots...

And some near meltdowns.