Thursday, March 24, 2011

(You Drive Me) Crazy

"...I just can't sleep. 
I'm so excited, I'm in too deep.
Whoa, crazy, but it feels alright.
Baby thinking of you keeps me UP ALL NIGHT!"

I'm not sure if that's exactly how Elijah would describe his lovely wife, but that's how I picture him. Singing along to the CD I bought him for his 20th birthday (dead true) at the top of his lungs. I've even convinced myself that he keeps the CD hidden in his glove compartment for those days when he's feeling especially nostalgic.

Given that glimpse into our relationship, can you really blame him for sticking with me these past 11 years? Could you even begin to imagine everything anything about me that drives him nuts? I'd love to make a list of all the reasons he's grateful I work two 12 hour night shifts a week, but unfortunately, one of my flaws is my complete and utter denial of having any. I'll have a go at it anyway though, for the sake of my readers.

I know, for a fact that Elijah hates that I have, what he perceives as, no sense of adventure. To me planning for fun goes hand in hand with actually having fun. I don't see this as a flaw (how could I? I actually believe my personality is the definition of perfection) but Elijah would prefer that I let life happen organically a little more often rather than planning everything down to bathroom breaks and snack stops.

Although we've had wonderfully planned trips to Mexico, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Ireland, I'd bet that his favorite vacation with me was the road trip we took to Myrtle Beach in February of 2001. We had a four day weekend and he wanted to just jump in the car and start driving. It didn't matter to him that we didn't know where we'd stay or what we'd end up doing, he was so excited by the fact that we hadn't planning anything. We just pointed to a place on the map and started driving south.

We ended up at this motorcycle dive bar in Myrtle Beach because honestly in February, that's the only bar open. We got a great room with an ocean view (for a steal), took a lovely, but chilly, walk along the beach and then drove around the state until we had to go home. I don't remember much about what we did (other than visiting Wilmington the home of DAWSON'S CREEK!!!) and doing a bit of shopping. But I do remember that we enjoyed each other's company, we laughed a lot, and it didn't matter that the bar had to make us a pitcher of Sex On The Beach because they didn't know the recipe by the glass. It was a great trip and Elijah was right...the fact that we didn't plan a thing only made it better.

So I suppose there is one flaw to my stellar personality. But I must argue that being spontaneous sort of loses it's charm when there are little ones who need to potty every 40 miles and only want to eat PB&J. Maybe once the kids are older we can find a happy medium between my insatiable need to plan and Elijah's yearning to set out without anything other than a map and a full tank of gas.


Mama’s Losin’ It