Sunday, March 6, 2011

We Both Go Down Together

It's a little past 7:30 on Sunday evening. The house is unusually quiet, the kids and husband in bed; eerie, yet strangely comforting. This is one of those happenings that can only be explained by a frozen picture of me on the couch laptop in hand and the words "48 HOURS EARLIER" scrawled across the bottom.

I worked this past Friday night. I felt okay heading into work, minus the ever present dread of actually having to be up all night taking care of sick, needy people. Anyway, as the evening wore on I felt worse and worse. Clammy and nauseated, just plain icky. I was determined to stick out the shift though because if not, my patients would have had to be divided between the other nurses on staff and I didn't really think my "illness" warranted that. Well, until I had to run out of a patient's room to throw up. Then I was all for it. By 0430 I was home showered and moaning in bed where Elijah informed me that Asher had been up doing the same thing around 0130. Awesome.

I can't even explain how rotten I felt Saturday. I felt this constant desire, yet inability, to sleep, accompanied by an excruciating stomach pain, combined with the realization that my lovely master bathroom is just too damn far away from my bed.

(Asher was totally fine and jumping on the trampoline by mid-afternoon for those of you more concerned about him than me...you know who you are!)

Anyway, I finally passed out around ten last night and woke up STARVING. Worst 24-ish hours of my life, seriously. And just like that....gone. Replaced by an overwhelming desire for pumpkin pancakes. Everyone else seemed fine so we went ahead with our weekend plans which actually included a trip to get some pumpkin pancakes!

Fast forward through our wonderful Sunday family outing (which I swear to write about later this week). We get home, Elijah looks at me and says "I think I have what you had."

Bummer.

I send him for a shower and off to bed. Got the kids fed and asleep by 7:30 and now have the rest of the evening to enjoy the peace and quiet of a rarely silent house. I am sorry that Elijah is sick, but I am definitely going to make the most of this once in a blue moon experience. After all, I still have a few seasons left of Buffy to watch!