Thursday, April 14, 2011

Don't Carry It All

This is the purse I carry practically every day.

(I actually hate that it's black, and would love to find a dark brown Kate Spade similar to this one, so if you come across something, let me know. Hello tangent!)

Anyway, it's much smaller than most of the purses my friends use, but it's just the right size for me. You see, I pretty much only need to be able to fit three things: wallet, phone and keys. Anything else that fits, like my Canon powershot, or various treats, is just gravy.

Upon contemplating what my purse contents "say about me" I realized something very important about myself. An epiphany, if you will.

When it comes to road trips, family activities or any other adventure we take together, I am always the packer. And I pack as if I we are headed into the wilderness, traveling to the furthest edges of civilization, where we will be unable to buy any necessities. Therefore, everything from food to seasonal clothing to extra bedding and utensils must be crammed into the family car.

However on my daily travels; taking the kids to and from school, heading to the gym, running my various "mommy errands" I don't feel like I need to bring anything besides the basics. I don't worry about being prepared for the unexpected. Sometimes we even go out without extra diapers! I have been known to, more than once, buy diapers and wipes just to change Amelia in the store bathroom.

To me, this says that while I am anxious about traveling to new places, I am very comfortable in our home/city/neighborhood. I know that whatever I need, I can get. I know that there will be no dire emergency or crisis that I am unable to handle. I feel capable and relaxed. As long as I always have my wallet, keys, and some way to check Facebook and Twitter!

Written in response to a prompt from:
 
Mama’s Losin’ It